Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Trash to Treasure- Fruit Basket


Today I am excited to be participating in Sanctuary Arts Make-Over Open House. I was hoping to finish some nagging painting projects, but the weather has been to yucky (excuse), and I haven't had time (worse excuse). Then I had another idea one day while working on the computer at the kitchen table. I got inspired when I saw this...


This poor pathetic excuse for a fruit basket needed help in the worst kind of way. This, of course, is a clementines box. (I really have a hard time throwing things away) I learned from my grandma "waste not, want not" Well, I needed a fruit basket and in this corner of the kitchen it really works because it doesn't take up a lot of space, so why throw it away!! It is just ugly.

I got inspired to make it beautiful. With my best helper at hand we got to work. First we painted the inside and wood corners black (my favorite color).
Then I used remnants of wallpaper, from my guest bathroom, and cut to size to cover the side boards (scrapbook paper would work great too.) Then I "antiqued" this Maridith Style-I did not have glaze, but I did have water. I watered down American Tradition Nutmeg paint and coated it on the paper and wiped off quickly.
It worked out great (I was a little surprised). Then I put 2 coats of sealer on everything. I put shelf gripper on the bottom and here you have it.... My new fruit basket!!


Special thanks to my little helper!!
Thanks to Jen R. from Sanctuary Art for hosting this event. This was FUN!!! Maybe next month I will finish a painting project!

15 comments:

kari and kijsa said...

This looks fantastic!! Beautiful job!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Beca said...

I don't know what's cuter, the basket or your helper. I think it's your helper. Great project.

Free Art Printables said...

That's so cute! You would never know it was fruit crate! Thanks for joining in on the party! Tell your helper we appreciate all of your hard work! :) Jen

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to have a "helper". Hehe. Hmm...this might be fun for Xmas gifts. I better get crafting!

SarahJarnagin said...

Great project!!! Looks good!

Katie said...

I love it, came out great! I had one of those boxes but wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. Then DH went through the basement and threw it out! It figures the ONE time he cleans up...was annoyed then now super annoyed when I see how cute it could have been repurposed as!

Teresa said...

That is just awesome. And your helper is adorable.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! looks adorable and so is your little helper~

Amanda said...

Your helper is precious!
The fruit box is way too cute!
Awesome idea for something many people might just toss.

Blessings,
Amanda

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

That turned out so well! And can you send your little helper over here for a few days?!!

Christina said...

This is a great idea. I always look at clementine boxes and think that they would be great for something.

Looks great!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

What a fantastic make-over and a great helper!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Looks like you had some cute little helpers!

Kris said...

What a sweet helper.
The fruit box looks fantastic. I love that you reused what most folks would of tossed out. What to go green.

Have a happy day

Kris

Anonymous said...

Very, very cute!

-FringeGirl