Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Decorating for Easter for Zero Dollars

Now that it is the day after St. Patrick's Day I am ready to decorate for Easter!

Hubby and I did our semi-monthly review of the budget (fun conversation) and it was decided that there was zero dollars for Easter Decorations. One year ago I would of gotten ticked-off at this conclusion, but today being a SAHM with part-time income, and knowing our budget outline, I decided to take it as a challenge rather then get mad (I am growing up). Challenge: decorate the house for Easter with the stuff in my home.

I love a good challenge so Lawson and I quickly got started! I have a very eager daughter who loves "projects" it makes it so much fun!!! My little guy wanted to get in on the action as well, he got all of the eggs together. Great work buddy!!


The first one was mod podging some Easter eggs. I got the idea from Xazmin's This is the Year post. With her eggs she used scrapbook paper. I don't scrapbook so there was no scrapbook paper around. Being as resourceful as I can, decided to use wrapping paper. So here is what we used: Plastic Eggs (recycled from previous Easters, wrapping paper, paint brush & mod podge. All supplies in my home.



Then we cut the wrapping paper into small pieces and layered them on the egg. Warning: Flat paper onto oval object takes patience!!



I used them in this arrangement. It could use some more eggs but it isn't Easter yet- there is still time.




On the chandelier.




And to Lawson's request we did this giant egg. I thought it looked good here.



Then, out of the Easter box I pulled out some hand towels. I remembered I had some pom-pom trim that my daughter had removed from her window shades. (see the glue residue on the trim?)




So I ripped off as much glue as I could from the trim and sewed them onto the hand towel. What was old is NEW AGAIN!!


When my daughter saw this in the bathroom later she said "Mommy this looks beautiful and beautiful" Hubby would of never noticed! It is so nice to have a girl around who appreciates beautiful things!!!
All of these projects combined, including the spring wreath, before I knew we had $0 dollars for Easter Decorations, I have spent $6. I guess there will be no bow on the wreath this year!!

I am still working on another arrangement for my dining room. I am thinking black & white! I love all things black & white (if you notice my bathroom & dining room). Stay tuned- it will cost me nothing.

Sandy at Shop*A*Holic Mom is having a give-away for some beautiful children's clothes. Stop on over there!!

Lastly, I got my give-away package from Jill and her daughter. I feel so loved. She gave me "Holiday Enteraining for Dummies" it is as if she really knows me!!! haha!! Thank you!!

3 comments:

Alyson and Ford said...

Love your ideas, energy and enthusiasm!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for Six Months!

~Sandy~ said...

Hi Meridith! I love the wrapping paper eggs...they look so expensive and classy! very cute idea's :O)

thanks for entering my giveaway and have a wonderful rest of the week!

Jill said...

Great craft idea! I am taking it and putting it into action with my girls. Fun and cheap!