Monday, March 23, 2009

My Finished Front Door




Wow, I thought I would never be able to write this post, but our front door is FINISHED!! And decorated with my Spring Wreath. Check out my old post on this silly door!!

With a little bit of encouragement from my 3 1/2yr old "Mommy, I have a good I idea how about we paint the front door?" when asked what project she would like to do in the afternoon. Thank God she does not seem to be the procrastinator like myself!!

So Friday afternoon, I put on the 5th coat of paint. Then Saturday hubby put on the 6th coat, cleaned it up, added the hardware and we are FINISHED!! Is it perfect? No way. It is 20+ years old. It really need to be thrown away but it is not in the budget to buy a new glass door. So in the mean time, I love the results!!

Why is it when you finish a project it is never really complete? I am thinking now I need new light fixtures, but that will have to wait too...darn! Maybe I will PAINT THEM!! Gee Wiz, how long would that take me??? Then there are flower pots & flowers to make this area nice a warm! Oh will I ever really be done?

Here is the breakdown on the front door.

Procrastination time: I got the paint in October, never put the first coat on until December and it is finished at the END of March= 6 months. Bad, very very bad!!

Cost: 2 quarts of red paint. Why two? The first one was bubble gum pink, (yuck!) $26, 1 quart of tinted primer $14, new screws $5. Total: $45

Verdict: I am happy with it, but I will not be painting anything red anytime soon. It is a pain in the tail!!

11 comments:

Lauren said...

I wish you took a picture when the door was bubble gum pink. Glad to see you finally finished. It looks great!

Jennifer said...

I love the door...it looks great. The wreath looks awesome too! Wonderful job!

Xazmin said...

I love it! It looks so great! Love the wreath too. The whole look is fabulous!

Xazmin

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

What a cute door! Glad you finally got it done - that always is a relief, isn't it?!!

dawnkristine said...

I love your door! See you can finish projects!

Jade Creative said...

Procrastination....it could mean you are just busy with other stuff, and that includes much needed R&R.
There are times when I am really productive, and then there are times when not much gets done. That's life,
Enjoy!
Darlene

Maggie said...

I love the red door. I have been wanting to paint our front door red also. So, I have two questions for you. I have been putting it off because I am afraid the red will not be right (Like bubble gum ha)so yours looks great what paint color did you use? And, did you paint both doors red or just the glass door?
So happy to have found your blog!
Maggie
in NC also(no blog though)

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

I adore the RED front door, no matter HOW LONG it took!!! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Elise said...

Just read your About Me and I swear we were separated at birth!! Love the front door!!
Elise

Heathahlee said...

That looks so great! I have an old door (40 years old!) that is in great need of painting! I tend to do projects like you, if I ever get over my fear of starting in the first place!

Maridith said...

Maggie from NC- Red is a hard color to paint, but the results are worth it!
My door started out blue so I first put on 2 coats of a tinted primer. The color I used is by Valspar (Lowes Home Improvement)called Cut Ruby. I found with red get a rich color rather then a safe red. Otherwise the results will be "bubble gum"

We did not paint both doors just the glass door. The front door is solid stained wood and my husband is completely against painting stained wood. If it was up to me it would of been painted as well!!

Hope I have helped!!