Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mod Podge Mania- I am hooked!!

EDIT:
I am adding this to Thrifty Decor Chick Goodwill Party!! This is one of my favorite projects and had to add it!!
**************************************************************************
I just started using Mod Podge last week and now this week I think it is the GREATEST invention EVER!!! It is so much fun using this stuff, my mind keeps on racing on all of the wonderful things I can make.


This week I am participating in Xazmin's Mod Podge Mania. I wanted to something other then my "F" and I couldn't do my eggs because I stole that idea from Xazmin. Last week I saw at Jen R's Sanctuary's Art Home Make-over this wonderful project from Blue Castle. I was immediately in love with the sconces. She did an awesome job and they are on sale at her Etsy store. Inspired by Blue Castle, I knew what I was looking for when I went thrifting (first time doing this in years).




What I wasn't expecting was to find the EXACT sconce she had made-over. I was as GIDDY as school girl. It was $1.99 and in perfect condition. I couldn't wait to get home to start 'creating.' I also picked up a long narrow black frame. I am ashamed to say my daughter picked it out and said "Mommy, this is black, it will look good in our house" She knows me too well and she is 3!!


So that evening, I disassembled the sconces using my husbands ratchet set, I had never used that before (I am woman hear me Roar!!) and spray painted both pieces a flat black.



Then added the remaining scrapbook paper from the "F" to the back of the sconce. I had a candle 'thingy' I bought at Target for 75% off (about 3 years ago),because I had to have it. Here is the finished results.


CAN YOU SAY LOVE!!

For my third Mod Podge Experiment this is perfect!! Thank you Blue Castle for the inspiration.


Now I have decided the sconce and the "F" are going in my dining room. I just need to figure out how to arrange things. Please help!! Here is the dining room area.


Before I start putting a bunch of holes in the wall (& tick off my hubby) I thought I would arrange things on the floor.

Arrangement #1:


Arrangement #2: (with the black long frame my daughter said would be nice in our home)



Arrangement #3



Arrangement #4


If the only thing you noticed is all the fingerprints please scroll back up and look past my imperfections!! Now tell me which one would look best!! I will post the results later this week.

Costs: $1.99 Sconce , black frame $5

Pack-Rat: The Candle 'thingy' no idea what that is called.

Verdict: I LOVE MOD PODGE!!

EDIT: I picked arrangement #4. Go here to check it out!!

Thanks Xazmin for hosting Mod Podge Mania. This was fun!!!

22 comments:

Jennifer said...

so cute! i like arrangement #4

Tanielle said...

Looks sooo cute, I love it! I pick #4 too!

Have a great day!

Tanielle

Amy said...

Wow that looks wonderful. I want to make a letter now. I did something also. I am not sure about it though.
Have a great day.

Katie said...

You know, once you go mod podge you don't go back, LOL! Glad you're having so much fun. I LOVE how the sconce came out, now that's something I'd never think of making over. I also like 4 the best!

Xazmin said...

I love them both! I'm goin' against the grain so far here, but I'm lovin' arrangement #2.

Thanks for linking your projects up...they look FAB!

Xazmin

The Masked Mommy said...

Wow! What a makeover! I like arrangement #2. I am so bad at hanging things on the wall! Urg! I've also been laying things out on the floor, but I can't find an arrangement that pleases me. I can always tell that it's not pleasing to my eye, but I can't figure out how to fix it! Lol!

Super job!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a great job! That sconce is so beautiful! I love your arrangement too! I think I like the last one best!

XOXO
Jen

Avery & Hailey said...

I don't even know what Mod Podge means, but it looks pretty cool. Great job.

I won't be giving any advice on layouts...hehehe...

I'll have to snap some pics of my house for the blog so you can laugh.

Mama Nut said...

Clicked over here from Xazmin's modge podge mania and then noticed you were a SITS girl so I HAD to leave a comment...I love the arrangement with the diamond shaped mirror position. Cute!

Unknown said...

Okay, I know I'm the lone soldier here, but I like #3! Great project, I love love love the sconce. Thanks for sharing.

Molly Anne said...

HOLY COW. That turned out so gorgeous I almost got chills!

I have a candelabra that was that same exact, scary 70's style - I spray painted it all white - I should have added some modge podge!

Alicia said...

I have recently fallen in love with modge podge as well... I mean, seriously!!! WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!

SarahJarnagin said...

Love Mod Podge! These projects turned out great!!! I like arrangement four but I'd put the F between the two match mirrors instead of above them.

janet said...

oh so pretty, love the black and white paper. I like #2
hugs
janet

janet said...

oooops sorry its #2 that i like
hugs
janet

kari and kijsa said...

hat looks fabulous! that would work great with our trash to treasure party today!! great job!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Heidi Boos said...

WOW! What a great makeover and how exciting that you FINALLY get to use the candle thingy from a few years ago (sounds like me!). I think I'm liking #4 the best.

Thanks for stopping by my blog to check out my Mod Podge project. This was a lot of fun!

dennimd said...

Love it! Number 4 seems more balanced!

Anonymous said...

Whoa....great ideas!

Stopping by from SITS to say hello!

Susie Q said...

I like # 1...how about hanging the long black frame sideways and put it above or below?

It looks terrific and I plan to do more this summer. My youngest comes to work with me one day a week in summer so I'll let her do the letters of her name for her room and I'll do a last initial in toile for our front room. Wanting a sort of 'beachy' feel for our den, so maybe I'll get another last name initial and then everyone's first initial to go around it....hmmmmm

gina said...

I have been interested in trying Mod Podge- but didn't know where too start- apparently jumping right in worked well for you... love both of your projects! I like #4 the best for that space. :)

Kammy said...

Great grouping, love the scrapping the scone....Black and white can't go wrong !
Hugs ~ Kammy