Monday, January 19, 2009

How to make Window and Door Draft Protectors

I live in the wonderful South, but right now I feel like I live in Iceland!! It is C-O-L-D!! It would be wonderful if it was cold and snowing, but NO it is just cold and dreary. YUCK! Today while the kids were asleep, and I couldn't get the chill off my bones, I decided to do something I have wanted to do since we moved into this home in January 2006 - make window and door draft protectors.

My house is not well insulated!! Thank you 1980 building supplies!

I decided to do a step-by-step this time so others out there, with drafty windows and door, can be inspired and make some! It really is SOOO easy!

Step 1: Gather your tools:

- scissors
- scrap material
- ruler
- pen (you know what that looks like!)
- sewing machine
- Reverser tool (don't know the technical name)
- kitty litter (not pictured)

Step 2: Cut your material 7" wide by the length of your door/window jam plus 3 inches. So if your door is 30 " wide you will cut a piece of material 7" X 33"

Step 3: With the right sides together match up length wise. Pin

Step 4: Sew around top edge and length with a 1/2" seam & Trim corners. (I had to attach two pieces together to make it the right length but since I matched up the pattern you couldn't tell!)

Step 5: Turn inside out with reverser tool and push out corners with the loop edge


Step 6: Fill with cat litter. TIP: Roll a piece of paper inside and with the side that is not in the material have it expand. It will make a funnel! Use a cup to pour in kitty litter. DO NOT OVER FILL. You want a little room in the draft protector so you can mold it to the window/door jam.

Step 7: Fold over 2 times open edge. Hand sew or machine sew edge - I machine sewed with a zig-zag stitch

(in front of attic door in bedroom)

FINISHED!!

Procrastination Time: 3 years, time to make 10 minutes but I made 6 so 40 minutes.

Cost: The cost of kitty litter. No cats in this house to my daughter's dismay! I used scrap material that matched the colors in that room. ( I have lots of scrap material- I am a pack-rat) You could use socks or old jeans, but I prefer something that matches. They are selling these for $10-$20 a piece and I made it for less the 20 cents each!

Verdict: Love it and could tell an immediate difference! I bet my power bill will see a difference too! I am so stupid for not doing this sooner. I ended up make 3 for my room, 1 for the attic door in the hall, and 2 for the den windows.

1 comment:

Ash said...

I'm so doing this one!! The rolled up beachtowels I use now look pretty tacky.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep the boys from using them as weapons.

Thanks! And welcome to SITS! Em