Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dealing with a Family Loss

I have been MIA due to the loss of our beloved dog, Chewy.

Last Tuesday should of been a day of celebration, it was our 8 year wedding anniversary. We didn't have anything planned just a nice evening with the people we love most our kids and our dog. Well... that was not meant to be. Monday Mr Chew was just fine, his happy normal self. Tuesday he woke up and would not eat, wouldn't walk and his breathing was labored. The kids and I took Chewy to the vet and he had a tumor on his spleen that had ruptured. He was bleeding internally and there was nothing we could do to save him.

Our hearts are broken. I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest. He was like a kid to me and our family just loved him. (Sorry for repeating this story for those of you who read my family blog)

In dealing with our loss and the emptiness of our home hubby and I have different ways of coping. My husband doesn't talk much about Chewy except in quick references. Then I have talked about Chewy (probably too much) and have reached out to my family and friends for support. That is how we differ...but we are the same in wanting to keep ourselves busy.

Here is my husbands newest project...this was on the forecast of projects "to do" but it suddenly took top priority this weekend..
Here is Hubby and his little helper.


First piece going up


This is a MAJOR improvement and I am so proud that my hubby can do stuff like this!!

I have been fiddling with my college that I got on Mother's Day, but never finished it...Go Figure! I thought there was no better time then now to finish my college, and make sure I added pictures of ALL of our family. Including Mr Chew.
I have a tendency to be a negative person, but I really try hard to always find the positive in every situation even if it's the smallest streak. If there is anything positive about our loss we are trying to move on in a constructive manner. I did complete #10 on my Getting Back on Track List. See that is positive!?!? Plus, I have a wonderful frame hanging in my hallway up stairs. I know I will enjoy looking at all of these pictures for years to come.
We Love you, Mr Chew!! You will always be in our hearts and thank you for 10.5 wonderful years!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

Unfortunately I know what it feels like to lose a beloved family member. We took our 12 year old lab to the vet because he was having problems urinating and it ended up he had prostate cancer that had grown around his stomach and such. We had to have him put to sleep and it just about killed us. Only pet owners understand what we go through when this happens.

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Oh Maridith, I am so sorry. I had my dog for 13 years and had to put him down about a month ago. I am still not over it and will still tear up at ramdom. Do what you need to do in order to grieve. Talk about it, get support and do your crafts. Your collage looks great.

Jillian said...

How sad:( I am sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you! I'm so sorry for you loss.

Gwen said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been there, so even now, thinking of your pain, I have tears in my eyes.

I hope that next year you will have a very Happy Anniversary to make up for this year:)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I have an award for you, please come on by and pick it up.
:)

Katie said...

Oh honey I am SO SORRY!